The Linden Litter League is an annual community beautification project organized by the Greater Linden Development Corporation (GLDC) and modeled after Little League baseball. Community members -- including adults, teens, and children -- form teams. Each team chooses a designated area within the Greater Linden boundaries as their home field. Teams keep their home fields clean all summer by picking up litter. Throughout the season team members earn prizes in recognition of their hard work and dedication. Bags, gloves, and other supplies are provided by Keep Columbus Beautiful. Refreshments, incentives and prizes are provided by GLDC and partner sponsors.
In 2010, Linden Litter League teams volunteered nearly 300 hours and collected over 400 bags of trash. The 20011 season will soon be underway!
20011 Linden Litter League Guidelines
- The season will run from Saturday, April 20th, 2011 through August 22nd. A closing event will be scheduled in August.
- Each team must have a coach (age 18 or older) and if desired an assistant coach. The coach(es) will be the contact person(s) for GLDC and will be responsible for keeping track of the team statistics – the number of hours worked and the number of trash bags collected -- as well as for turning in team logs.
- Teams should have at least 3 members but no more than 12 members. If members of the team are younger than the age of 18, a parent or guardian must provide GLDC with a signed permission slip for his/her child to participate.
- Teams may choose their own home field. The home field must be in the Linden area. If you choose a location that has already been selected, we will ask you to choose another area, or GLDC can assign you an area that has a great need for clean up.
- Anyone who wants to participate but does not have a team will be assigned to a team. If your team has less than 12 participants, we may assign members to your team.
- The competition days will be held one Saturday each month during the season. The 2011 competition dates will be posted soon!
- An umpire will score each area following the Competition day.
The team scores will be based on a combination of the following:
- The overall cleanliness of the team’s home field after competition days.
- The number of hours each team cleans on scheduled competition days.
- The number of additional hours besides the competition day that each team cleans.
- Number of trash bags collected.
Bonus points will be given to teams that recruit additional clean-up help (non-team members). (They must sign the log sheets to be counted.)
Litter League sponsors provide one or more of the following:
- a financial contribution
- small give-aways
- tickets or passes as incentives for our team members.
Corporate sponsors are advertised on the Litter League Team t-shirts, all promotional materials, in the Greater Linden News and on the Greater Linden website. Sponsors can also take pride in their community involvement.
Our 2008 sponsors included:
- City of Columbus
- Columbus Museum of Art
- Columbus Crew
- Family Fish & Chicken
- Keep Columbus Beautiful
- Mobile Tool Library
- New Harvest Café
You can become a 2011 sponsor today! Call 294-9600.
You can register your 2011 team now! Call 294-9600 to register or for more information.
2011 Litter League Teams
20th Avenue Trash Masters (Residents of 20th Ave.)
A-Team (Greater Linden Advisory Council’s team)
Agents of Change (New Salem’s Youth Team)
Committed (New Salem Men’s team)
Linden Litter-ary Leaders (Linden Library team)
Team BlackBox (Black Box Entertainment Team)